Sunday, October 14, 2007

Some new yum yums


So this weekend was a weekend of many new things.
But, since I work full time, my week days arent very exciting! So I will let you know about the rest of my weekend throughout the week!
Ok, so I branched out and tried a new recipe. I made a Vegan green bean casserole. I am new to this whole vegan thing, I just wanted it to be low in fat and healthy, so I made it vegan! I got it from Fatfreevegan, but I made it a little different!

The Best Vegan Green Bean (and broccoli) Casserole (Lauren Style!)

Beans
2 quarts water
1 tablespoon table salt
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces ( I used about half of this)
( in a seperate pot (or you can wait until your green beans are done) I boiled up some broccoli the same way with the salt, but broccoli doesn't take as long)

Bring the water to boil in a large pot. While it's heating, cut up the beans. Add the salt and beans to the boiling water. Cover and cook for 6 minutes. Drain beans in a colander, and then spray for a minute with cold water to stop the cooking. Let them drain in the colander, shaking every now and then to get off all the water.

Sauce

*10 ounces mushrooms (I don't like mushrooms, so didn't add them!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
generous pinch cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Fresh pepper to taste
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon dry sherry
3/4 cup soy creamer

Trim and discard the mushroom stems and chop the mushrooms into pieces. Spray a non-stick pan with canola oil and heat it. Add the mushrooms, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are very soft and exude their juices. Whisk the flour into the vegetable broth and add to the mushrooms along with the sherry. Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens. Add the soy creamer and simmer until thick, about 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and stir in the beans.

Topping

1 1/2 slices whole grain bread ( I just used the bread I had in the cabnet which was 12 grain, it tasted good with the nuts)
1 tablespoon Earth Balance margarine
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 3-ounce can of French fried onions

Put the bread, margarine, salt, and pepper into a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Pour into a bowl and add the onions. Stir to combine.

To assemble:
Put the green beans into an oiled casserole dish and top with the onion mixture. Bake at 425 F for about 15 minutes. If you are not serving this right away, refrigerate the topping separately. Bring to room temperature before sprinkling the topping on the casserole and baking for about 20 minutes or until hot throughout.
(I found it got a little too crispy cooking it for 20 minutes, I would do 15 next time!)

This recipe came out so great I really want to do it for thanksgiving! It passed the vegan test, and she doesn't even like green beans, thanks Alexis!

Ok, so off to bed gotta be up at 4 tomorrow morning, will share something new tomorrow night!

1 comment: