Monday, November 19, 2007

Family

Thanksgiving... is a traditional North American holiday to give thanks at the conclusion of the harvest season. To me Thanksgiving is food, travel, turkey, fall, leaves, orange, and FAMILY.


On Sunday Nate and I went over to Fashion Square mall, if any of you know this mall you know it is a crap mall, but we had to return the tux that Nate wore in our friends wedding this weekend. As we waited out side for the store to open I started up the conversation about thanksgiving (for the millionth time). We haven't decided which family we are going to see and thanksgiving is only a couple days away. As we sat there thinking about it we realized no matter where we were going, it would probably be a depressing day.

We were going to his grandmothers in Seabring because she is not doing very well, but then Nates mom had to go to the emergency room last week and is still in bed receiving antibiotics for a staff infection. His parents told us that they still might be going to seabring, but I really don't think his mom should travel. On the other hand we can go to my grandparents house and have thanksgiving there, which is normally a good time and we can invite Nates parents over. We would still have the stress of seeing his mom, but we would only have to travel an hour and a half not four hours on the busiest travel day of the year. As I sat there, in our crappy mall, I realized that Thanksgiving is about family and how we are giving thanks for the people in our lives. I also realized that growing up kinda sucks and it really sucks when people we love become sick. We both agreed that no matter what we do the most important thing is to spend time with our family! Sometimes this is easier said than done. I love my family they are great people but sometimes I can only take so much of them. Most of the people in my family are very opinionated and mostly about my life. I know they are just helping me out and giving me advice that they wish someone had given them, but when it comes from your family it is different. I guess I just see it that since I am so comfortable with them I can become more agitated and annoyed with them. It even seems that way with really close friends, you feel comfortable with just telling them that you don't want to hear it and they continue to tell you their opinion! For this Thanksgiving, no matter where I end up, I am going to try and just enjoy every ones presence and enjoy the person that they are. I am going to try and take every little quirk and suggestion and just turn them into a positive, this Thanksgiving is just going to be about enjoying my family and the people that they are!

No comments: